The American Association of Automatic Door Manufacturers (AAADM) is a trade association of manufacturers of automatic pedestrian door systems.
AAADM was founded in 1994 with the following mission: to advance the interests of the automatic door systems industry; to increase education, training and professionalism among installers and service providers; and to generally promote the safe use of automatic doors.
Timeline: The Evolution of Automatic Door Technology
• Introduction of floor mat device
• Limited use of automatic swing doors
• Hydraulic powered, electric floor mat and carpet activation
• Introduction of automatic sliding doors
• Pneumatic powered door with emergency breakout feature
• Electric floor mat activation popularized
• Introduction of electric operators for slide and swing
• Introduction of motion detectors to activate sliding doors using photoelectric safety
• Low energy swing door concept introduced
• First handicapped access door operator
• Automatic door manufacturers form association with Builders Hardware Manufacturing Association
• Wrote first ANSI standard for power operated doors (ANSI A156.10)
• Introduction of active infrared presence sensor for automatic swing door safety
• Automatic revolving door introduced and accepted by market
• Motion detector activation becomes a standard on sliding doors
• Introduction of automatic folding doors
• Automatic doors become a global market
• ADA law drives increase in automatic door sales
• American Association of Automatic Door Manufacturers founded to enhance safety of automatic doors through joint/uniform training.
• Active infrared sensors become common items on all type of automatic doors
• New ANSI national consensus standard defines and governs requirements for pedestrian automatic door systems.